Monday, May 02, 2005

People Of Questionable Talent Who Are Famous Despite That Fact. And One Talented Person Who Should Be More Famous

1. Michael Buble -- why is this carb-faced non-entity famous? When I was little, my mom used to give me these little cookies that were shaped like windmills...their flavor was inoffensively almond, kind of bland. Not entirely unpleasant. Kind of forgettable. Wait a second! Come to think of it, that's a perfect description of Michael Buble! Maybe the person who discovered him just had too many house reds on karaoke night at The Duplex or Don't Tell Mama.

2. Josh Groban -- another one whose fame has me scratchin' my noggin. I do know that my suburbanite-mom friend was raving about him at least two years ago, before he became the latest lite-radio shouter. But at the time I thought it was more for his tousled curls and dreamy eyes and just a touch of my friend's dirty old womanism. And has anyone noticed that his song "You Lift Me Up," is a chord-for-chord and nearly note-for-note ripoff of "Danny Boy?"

These two are perfect examples of my belief that the American cultural audience no longer has the balls to appreciate something that isn't overprocessed, packaged pap. We like to be spoon-fed everything. We even like to be told what to like.

On the other side of this, I have two words for you:

Rufus Wainwright.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home