Wednesday, June 29, 2005

My stupid friend

Spent part of Saturday with an old friend, a retired NYPD officer, FDNY firefighter and Fire Marshall. Now, I know that somewhere in these organizations, there must be at least one person who doesn't grovel to lick the shoes of the Bush administration while nodding mad agreement with all of their proclamations.

But for heaven's sake, is Bay Ridge so goddamn far removed from reality that it isn't possible to have a clue out there? He actually, albeit mildly, remonstrated me for being "unpatriotic" for saying something negative about George W. Bush. Now wait just a cotton-picking minute! Them's fightin' words.

But what I realized is this -- this is a great opportunity for me to observe the Bush supporter up close; to see what happens when a mind closes and a mouth opens. It's fascinating, really.

And this sort of entrenched Bushlicker has (I've found) the following arguments to make in favor of George Bush: "9/11, 9/11, 9/11, Saddam is a bad man, 9/11, 9/11, 9/11." Get the picture? They've bought the propaganda hook line and sinker.

My recommendation is for everyone to keep at least one stupid (read: Bush-supporting) person in your life, so you can observe and learn and say snarky things like: "Wow, that yellow ribbon magnet on the back of your SUV really makes those troops safer, doesn't it?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home