Friday, December 02, 2005

Something that I mourn

Public Decorum.

Whatever happened to it? Seriously. I'm not a prude, most certainly not. But some things just don't need to be said or done in public. Pay attention to what is happening in your immediate vicinity, and you might be shocked at just how blue the air is around you. When you see these kids on the subway, and every other word out of their mouth is "fuck - fuck - fuck," doesn't it make you cringe? I think the most upsetting thing about it is that the worst offenders seem to be young women.

It makes me hyper-aware of my own frequently trashy mouth. I described someone as a "cunt" in casual conversation last week! (Not that it isn't true about that particular person, but that word is like a fist!) It's a great Exercise in Awareness. I know, i know, I use that phrase a lot. Then again, as the Zennies teach us, everything is an opportunity for awareness.

I heard my mother swear once. ONCE. And do you know what? That single, vehement, "Damn you!" (rather vanilla by today's standards, no?) had an impact that resonates to this day. She was right -- when you don't do it all the time, it has more impact.

1 Comments:

At 12/05/2005 1:52 PM, Blogger Anocsanamun said...

Yes, and I am learning to watch my mouth around my son. I try not to be a potty mouth. It is as you say, when you don't say it often it has more effect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home